This course focuses on the different aura layers and how to perceive them using intuitive senses. These steps are primarily based on my own perception and experience. Aura types, interpretations, and variations will be covered in future posts.
Auras can tell you a lot about a person’s state of being or personality. The problem is, unlike tarot or astrology, it is difficult to get accurate aura readings from afar. Even in person it’s difficult because you have no evidence that an aura reader knows what they’re talking about. Tarot readers draw actual cards that you can double check the meanings about yourself if you wish, and natal charts are drawn up automatically, astrologists just interpret them for you. It’s hard to justify paying for something like an aura reading when someone could easily just make something up. The good news is, with the right technique and enough practice I firmly believe that ANYONE can sense auras, including their own! This guide is based on my own personal experiences, research, and practice. I should clarify that I can SEE auras, however other people find it easier to FEEL or SENSE them so I’ll get to that later.
What are auras?
Auras are visible “clouds” of energy that exist around everything. They are not limited to people, animals, or even organic matter. Your cat, the ground, a glass of water, a wilted flower, buildings, electronic devices, even the air itself all have auras.
What do they look like?
There are different answers to this depending on who you talk to. My own observations have lead me to believe that auras exist in “layers”.
This is the first aura you can see, and it looks white or clear but distorts the space around the object making it look “fuzzy”. All matter has this layer.
Organic matter has a moving aura. It can appear to pulsate, flow, expand, burst, swirl, smoke etc. and this movement will express similarly in higher layers.
These are also called chakras. At a certain level of sentience, animals start to have this layer. It’s the first colorful layer, and it is VERY colorful. The colors are some combination of the basic colors of light (ROYGBIV) and white. This is the layer that seems to reflect the health of the physical, mental, and emotional bodies of that individual. I’m not an energy healer so I can’t confirm this, but I suspect that this is the layer they can manipulate in order to heal people.
When people ask what color their aura is, this is the layer they are referring to. It’s almost more like layer 3.5 because it’s sort of “mixed” with layer 3. People and some animals have this layer.
Some people have energies you can feel. I’m sure all people and probably animals do too, it’s just easier to notice the types that stand out against nature’s aura. Even though I’m labeling this as Layer 5, it is often the first aura people are aware of, so it potentially exists separately from the previous 4. It’s the feeling you get when your roommate comes home and before you see them you know they had a bad day, or the reason we view some personalities as “cold” and others as “warm”. For example, my own aura changes temperatures, but is thin and wispy like mist or steam. I’m often told I seem lost or air-headed so it makes sense. I have a good friend whose aura is pillowy and opaque and she either comes across as soft and warm or suffocating and overwhelming.
I am no expert, and I wrote this guide based on my own experience of what I have personally found possible to sense. I have heard of types of auras that I cannot sense, but that doesn’t mean they do not exist.
How do you sense auras?
Using one or more of the eight basic intuitive senses. Everyone has these senses albeit in varying degrees and knowing which comes easiest to you will help you determine the best technique to teach yourself any psychic or metaphysical practice. That being said, each sense has areas in which it is strong, and areas in which it is weak. I will be focusing primarily on explaining how to see auras clairvoyantly since that is where I have the most natural ability and practice, however I have also learned to sense auras instinctually, either by feeling or knowing, and also by touch (temperature, texture, etc). In addition, there are four more intuitive senses that I haven’t been able to use to sense auras personally, however these senses may come more naturally to you than the others so I’ll still go over them to the best of my ability.
1. Clairvoyance: Intuitive Seeing. Exactly what it sounds like. It is any extra sensory perception that allows one to see on a different plane of existence. Visions, prophetic dreams, seeing spirits, and seeing auras are some examples of this. It can be used to sense the first 4 aura layers, however level 5 auras can only be perceived clairvoyantly for texture, or possibly temperature if there are visible heat waves, and even then it might not be entirely accurate.
2. Claircognizance:? Intuitive Knowing. You can think of it as knowing the right answer to something but having no clue how you knew it, or immediately being adept at something you have know prior knowledge about. For example, someone could say that “your aura is blue”, not because they SEE the color blue, but because they KNOW it’s blue. In some ways this could be the most powerful sense because one can inherently know what all the other intuitive senses perceive, and can be used to sense all the aura layers.
3. Clairtangency: ✋? Intuitive Feeling (touch). While this is sometimes considered to be one and the same with clairsentience, there is an important distinction. This refers to external textures and temperatures, as if you are touching something that is not really there. Auras have a texture and a temperature, making this the most accurate sense to perceive level 5 auras.
4. Clairsentience: ?? Intuitive Feeling (instinctual). These are gut feelings. You wake up in the morning and feel like you should take a different way to work. It can also refer to pain or pleasure with no known source. Your stomach hurts when something bad is about to happen, or your spine tingles as a warning that someone is watching you. It can be used to sense auras in a similar way to claircognizance, but I have found it to be less accurate since it’s a bit like playing 20 questions and waiting for your body to respond in a code that correlates to “yes” or “no”, which can be inconsistent. It might be different for you though.
5. Clairempathy: Intuitive Feeling (emotions). This is the ability to intuitive sense or feel the emotions of others. This isn’t limited to people that you can physically see, but also those at a distance who are feeling things particularly strongly, and the emotions of spirits. It is similar to clairsentience with the distinction that you are picking up on the mental and emotional states of other entities. It is very useful for determining level 3 auras, and any changes to a persons aura caused by variations in emotional or physical states of being.
6. Clairaudience: Intuitive Hearing/Communication. This one is also exactly what it sounds like. Communing with spirits, telepathy, mind reading, hypnosis, hearing voices, interpreting sound as color or scents. It’s also associated with mental conditions such as schizophrenia and synesthesia, and the line between the disorders and the gifts is fuzzy. Bibliomancy can be considered a form of clairaudience, as are Ouija boards since they relate to language and communication. Mediums can ask spirits to tell them about a person’s aura, but this is assuming that the spirit who answers can actually sense auras, and that they’re not just messing with you. If auras have sounds, which I have not personally experienced, but have no reason to believe that they do not, this would be the sense that could reveal that the most clearly.
7. Clairsalience: ?? Intuitive Scent. This one overlaps with the actual biological process that links scent to memories more than any other biological sense using the hippocampus, but still diverges slightly. Instead of smelling a scent and being reminded of another time you smelled the same scent, you may suddenly smell something that is not there that links you to a previous experience that is relevant to your current or future situation. You are about to run into someone you know, and last time you saw them was at the movie theater, and suddenly you smell popcorn right before they show up again, despite the lack of popcorn in your environment. I suspect that auras DO have a scent associated with them considering I have claircognitively sensed that a person’s aura was “minty” or “smoky”, however I have never actually experienced the scent.
8. Clairgustance: ? Intuitive Taste. This works very similarly to clairsalience, except with taste rather than smell. Because there are more scents than there are tastes, it can be considered a less accurate form of clairsalience. There’s always scents around, however most of the time you are merely tasting the inside of your mouth. The most useful and common form of clairgustance is the taste of blood or iron in ones mouth before something bad happens, or as a warning not to trust someone.
??♂️Aura Sensing Techniques??♀️
You have never tried to see auras before, or have tried but were unsuccessful in seeing even Layer 1. I am focusing primarily on clairvoyance, so if you try this and it doesn’t work, don’t get discouraged. Intuitive senses are exactly that: intuitive. Once you are aware of your intuitive senses, aura reading may come naturally to you. For some tips on doing this with other senses, read the IMPORTANT NOTES at the end of this section. Once you can sense Layer 1, you can skip ahead.
NOTE: If you already know you are claircognizant, clairempathetic, or clairaudient you might want to skip ahead to the section after “Advanced” since the steps are different.
1. Try. Just look at something, anything, and try to see the 1st layer, just a cloud or halo surrounding it, by relaxing your eyes and allowing them to shift out of focus. Start with something stationary, and make sure there’s good lighting. At this stage a white background won’t be necessary. Since you’re only looking for layer 1 at this point, it may be easier to start with something inorganic since they only have 1 layer (that I know of). Sometimes it’s better to look next to or around the object rather than directly at it. If you are more clairvoyant (intuitive seeing), you might be surprised at how easily this comes to you. If not, don’t be discouraged, it just means that you are likely more claircognizant (intuitive knowing), clairaudient (intuitive hearing), or clairsentient (intuitive feeling).
2. Look at the air. If you’re having trouble refocusing your sight, a good technique is to look at the air. Start by looking at something across from you, with nothing else in between, and then refocus your eyes in front of that object into the “empty” space. What you see will look like what you see when you blur your vision, the only difference being your intention. “Looking at the air” is more conscious than “blurring your vision” which is a very subjective way of phrasing it. The nice thing about this technique is that blinking won’t make you lose focus on the auras the way it can if you’re just blurring your vision. You’ll likely start seeing clouds around objects in your peripheral vision. Pick the clearest one.
3. Try looking at a dying plant. Before I even tried to see auras, I accidentally saw the aura of a wilted rose in a vase on my dresser because it was so clear. It’s what made me start trying to see auras in the first place. I have a theory that dying things have stronger auras because more of their life force is leaving, so wilting plants might work for you as well.
4. If seeing auras just isn’t working for you, try to feel them. Close your eyes and hover your hand over various objects. I can only do this for living things, but I’m certain people who are naturally gifted with clairtangency will have an easier time with this.
5. Practice. Don’t give up. Once you sense your first layer 1 aura, you’ll know what to look for and suddenly you’ll be aware of the energy clouds around everything. Eventually it’ll just click.
IMPORTANT NOTE: There’s a chance clairvoyance is the weakest of your four intuitive senses, and your clairtangency might not be much better. People who naturally favor claircognizance may not be able to sense layer 1 at a level other than intuitively knowing that it’s there, and may benefit from starting with level 3, 4, or 5 and working in reverse. Instead of trying to see or feel them, check if you can just intuitively know that it’s there: what color it WOULD appear to be to a clairvoyant, how it WOULD smell to a clairsalient, or how it WOULD feel to a clairtangent. If you “just know” that it is what you believe it to be, that’s claircognizance, and you should trust it. Meditation helps with this. Clairempathy is at it’s most useful if you are close to (physically or emotionally) someone with more specific intuitive senses like claircognizance and clairvoyance, so if this is your strongest sense, try finding someone you know who can already perceive auras or is more naturally gifted in one of the other senses. Unfortunately clairaudience and clairgustance are my weaker intuitive senses. I’ve never been able to hear or taste auras and I haven’t heard of any who can. I would assume it has something to do tones or a ringing in the ears. It could possibly have something to do with synesthesia, but that’s just speculation. However, even if you are primarily clairaudient or clairgustant and can’t figure out how to use it to sense auras, you should still be able to sense auras with whichever of the remaining senses is your secondary intuitive sense.
You can sense at least Level 1 auras with relative ease
- First of all, after layer 1, don’t worry about sensing the aura layers in order. If you’re trying to sense a layer 2 aura, but wind up seeing layer 3, 4, 5 or beyond, stick with it and focus on that layer.
- It can be a bit hard to explain, but start with whichever technique you use to consistently perceive layer 1 auras, then hold that sense in order to “peel” back that layer and perceive the next. I can only verify that this works for clairvoyance, as other senses are more particular to specific layers
- Just because you found it easiest to use one particular sense to perceive level 1 auras, doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s the easiest sense for you to perceive the other layers. If it’s too difficult to use the same sense, try another.
- For layer 2, movement, clairvoyance and clairtangency are the easiest senses to perceive it. Try looking and touching the aura if your primary sense isn’t working as well as you would like.
- For layer 3, chakras, clairvoyance is useful for both yourself and others. Clairempathy is the most reliable for sensing the chakras of others, while clairsentience is the most reliable for sensing your own.
- Layer 4 auras are the first layer I see past layer 1 using clairvoyance. Since it is a color, I’m not sure how well the other senses would work to perceive this.
- Layer 5, sensation, is most easily perceived via clairtangency, or clairempathy is the person whose aura you are reading is aware of their own aura.
- Test out your other senses to see if you can sense further layers of auras
- Don’t give up.
You can perceive most or all aura layers using at least one intuitive sense
- If you wish to develop the intuitive senses that are not as natural for you, simply try each intuitive sense on each layer.
- Since you already know the basics, feel free to check out my weekly blog posts for more advanced lessons and insights surrounding auras, intuitive senses, and other branches of metaphysics
Claircognizants, Clairempaths, and Clairaudients/Telepaths
These gifts alone can allow you to perceive all of the aura layers and more. You may not need to follow the steps above.
- Claircognizants: The key to this sense is to trust yourself. If you are have a strong sense of claircognizance and you think about your own aura and immediately think “yellow”, then trust it. If you think you may be claircognizant, but are not entirely sure, then test out your prediction with your other senses, or ask someone else who can see auras for verification
- Clairempaths: Get to know intuitives with proficiency in the other senses, and ask to tag along when they perceive auras. If you tune into their process enough, you’ll eventually be able to perceive auras independently by repeating what they do. If someone is aware of their own aura, you may be able to pick up on it as well
- Clairaudients/telepaths: Listen. If you are a medium, tune into the entities around you and hear what they are trying to tell you. Listen to the subconscious of others and see if that can give you insight into their auras. Try out bibliomancy. Open a book belonging to the person you’re trying to read and focus on the first sentence you see and go from there.
- For all three, it is important not to ignore it if you sense something that isn’t one color or otherwise obviously describing auras
- If you sense, feel, or hear multiple colors, you might be picking up on their chakras. This could mean that their energy wants to tell you something about their health or mental wellbeing.
- If you consistently sense the same 2-3 colors, then they probably have a multicolored layer 4 aura
- If someones aura changes frequently, they could have a crystal, prism, mirror, or rainbow aura, which I will go over in later posts when I talk about the meanings different aura colors and patterns. Check out the next section for the names of certain aura colors
Known Layer 4 Aura Colors
- Crystal: an aura that changes colors
- Mirror: an aura that mimics the auras of others around them
- Rainbow: an aura with 4 or more specific colors at the same time (i.e. ALWAYS red, blue, green, and violet at the same time)
- Prism: an aura with 4 or more colors at the same time but the colors change
- Angel: an aura made of all colors simultaneously
- White: Pure white light
- Colorless/clear: Layer 4 aura looks like a layer 1 aura
- All Grays
- All Reds
- All Oranges
- All Yellows
- All Greens
- All Aquas
- All Blues
- Indigo is a specific variation
- All Purples
- All Magentas
- All Pinks
- All Browns
Thank you for reading 🙂